Friday, March 10, 2006

You ever notice...?

Have you ever noticed how hard it is to write in sarcasm? I mean, when you say something sarcastic people usually notice the snotty tone or however your particular brand of sarcasm rolls off the tongue, but it doesn't always come across when you write it. Besides the ever popular, "If you hadn't noticed, that was sarcasm" line, how does one get across a sarcastic point without turning the whole thing into an utterly ridiculous hyperbole of what you're trying to say... er, write?

4 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

I found that with very good friends of mine that we got to the point with chatting that we could read the tone of voice in the writing, but otherwise I am not quite sure how to portray it to those who's thoughts you cannot read ;)

3:58 PM

 
Blogger Jay said...

My best guess is to use italics. But I agree with Angie in knowing the person you're talking to making all the difference.

5:46 PM

 
Blogger LJE said...

i think we should invent a new thingie...not really an emoticon, but a symbol/signal to all that sarcasm is intended.....how about :*& (as in my nose is crooked and i'm speaking out the side of my mouth), or somethin'?

3:57 PM

 
Blogger Joel said...

I'd have to put that particular set of symbols as a key on my keyboard... and it would probably wear out quickly

12:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home